I am actually an avid Ramen hater. I ate it all the time growing up–which is one of the reasons I learned how I cook. My parents would leave me and my brothers at home when my older brother turned 11 or 12 and Ramen was always our go-to because it was the easiest and least likely thing to set the house on fire.
And then I started experimenting in the kitchen. My experience to were so successful that we only had to eat Ramen if we really wanted to or if I had an attitude with my brothers and wanted to deprive them of my luxurious cooking.
At any rate, my husband is a huge fan of Ramen and he makes it all the time. I won’t lie, his spiced up Ramen is actually very good. He adds butter, hot sauce, soy sauce and some other array of seasonings. Our kids love it. He’s been crowned the Ramen King in the house and it’s the one thing I’m not allowed to cook.
While we are on the Daniel Fast, traditional Ramen is off limits. Imagine my excitement when I found fast-approved Ramen! It was so interesting to me that I absolutely had to try it. Black rice ramen noodles. Now, that sounds appetizing–right? Probably not. I had heard from black rice from my mom and promised her I’d try it but I never got around to it. So when I noticed the Black Rice Ramen I decided to go for it.
- 1 package black rice Ramen (I found this at a neighborhood health food store. It also comes in brown rice.)
- 1 orange bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1/2 bag of fresh spinach
- A little garlic powder
- A little lemon pepper
- 1 package of chicken-less chicken (I got mine from Trader Joes)
- 1/2 cup Thai pineapple chili sauce (or sweet chili sauce if you can’t find pineapple)
What you do:
- Heat a bit of olive oil in a pan and sauté the peppers adding a bit of garlic powder
- After the peppers cook for 2-3 minutes add in the spinach and sprinkle on a little more garlic powder and a little lemon pepper
- Mix the spinach and peppers so they are fully coated with olive oil and the seasonings get mixed in well
- Prepare the Ramen according to the package in a separate pot (cook all four squares)
- Leave the Ramen in the pot after the pasta is rinsed
- Toss in the chicken-less chicken
- Add the chili sauce and mix well
- Mix in the spinach and peppers
- Plate and enjoy 👌🏽