I’ve never really been a very huge fan of chili, but my husband enjoys it very much. And I make it my business to make sure I can do anything he likes extremely well.
Each year during the Lent season we participate in a fast at our church which is basically a reset for us both spiritually and physically. It’s called the Daniel Fast which basically means we are vegan and gluten free without any sweets through the entire Lent season. 40 full days!
He and I have grown to enjoy the reset and we look forward to it. Each year I always make a big pot of sweet potato chili which has become a huge rave even with people who aren’t even participating in the fast. I used to say it’s a really great vegan option for chili, but honestly, this stuff is just great chili period!
Now usually I sauté the garlic and coat the sweet potatoes in the seasonings but this time I just threw everything into the crock pot and set it on high to cook for 6 hours. Came out just as good!!
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 cloves garlic (minced or chopped)
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 tbsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 4 tbsp chili powder
- 6 tsp garlic
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cans fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 can dark kidney beans
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can spicy chili beans
- 1 bag frozen corn
Here’s what you do:
Put it all into the crockpot and cook on high for 3-5 hours or until the sweet potatoes soften.
NOT SO EASY
- Heat the coconut oil in a sauce pan
- Sauté your garlic in the coconut oil
- Mix the sweet potatoes and the seasoning until fully coated
- Add them to a pot and add the remaining ingredients except the corn
- Also mix in the garlic and coconut oil
- Bring the pot to a boil
- Turn the heat down to low and cover
- Cook for about 4 hours on low
- Add the corn and cook for another hour
- Enjoy 😘