When I’m ditching meat I always turn to meatier veggies so I’m not feeling deprived. Otherwise I’ll be cruising in the drive thru for a Whopper with cheese, no pickles, no onions and a large cherry icee because if I’m going to break the fast I’m going all the way.
To avoid that, I cook a lot of eggplant and portobello mushrooms to put my mind and my stomach at ease. Plus, you cannot just feast on beans for the entirety. Here’s a quick and easy recipe for eggplant sans Parmesan since cheese isn’t vegan. 🙄
What you need:
- A little olive oil
- 1 large eggplant
- 2 cloves garlic
- 12 oz of chopped mushrooms (fresh or frozen…I use baby Bella)
- Garlic powder, celery salt, and any seasoning blend of your choice (I use Emeril)
- 1 can tomato sauce
- Nutritional yeast
- Heat your olive oil in a large pan
- Chop your eggplant into medallions of small to medium thickness
- Sprinkle the eggplant with your seasonings
- Add them to the oil and lightly fry them on each side. You want them to become translucent
- Remove he eggplant from the pan
- Add a bit more olive oil
- Sauté your garlic and mushrooms
- Add the eggplant back into the pan
- Pour in your tomato sauce
- Add some nutritional yeast (I add this to bring out a cheesy flavor since cheese isn’t allowed. You don’t have to add it, but trust me it works wonders in sauces. Thank me later).
- Drizzle in a bit of agave, but be careful not to go over board. The goal is to enhance the flavor of the tomato sauce. This isn’t dessert so, easy on the drizzle)
- Mix well and let it all simmer so theflavors come together
- Serve over brown rice pasta
Hope you enjoy!